Grade 2 ANZCA Guitar Exam
Here are the skills that are required to be performed in the Grade 2 ANZCA guitar exam. students need to perform Technical work from memory.
For assistance in preparation for the Grade 2 ANZCA guitar exam contact us on 0421 705 150 or via the contact page on this site to book a lesson.
Technical Work – Grade 2 – 20 marks
Scales – D major one octave, F / G / A major two octaves, D harmonic minor one octave, A harmonic minor two octaves in alternate or double picking.
Chords – C, G, D, A, E, F, G7, D7, E7, A7, Am, Dm and Em. To learn these chords watch our tutorial videos below.
Arpeggios – F / G / D / A major, A / D minor in alternate picking.
Turnaround Progression – three strum patterns to learn.
Songs – Grade 2 – 18 marks each
List A – Malaguena.
List B – Long Long Ago.
List C – Running Around.
Sight Reading – Grade 2 – 10 marks
Students will perform a unseen piece eight bars in length, 4/4 or ¾ time, key of C or G major or A minor.
General Knowledge – Grade 2 – 8 marks
- Knowledge of all notes, rests and markings seen in the songs played.
- Function of a dot after the note.
- Name of composer of tune if indicated.
- Full description of time signatures.
- Naming the key of each piece.
- Knowledge of the names of the open strings lowest to highest.
- Knowing of the country of origin of song.
- An understanding of type of guitar you are playing e.g.. solid body electric guitar.
Aural Test – Grade 2 – 8 marks
- Clap a 4 bar rhythm pattern in 4/4 or 6/8 time. Note values of semibreve, minim, dotted minim, crotchet and quaver.
- Examiner plays a 4 bar passage, student claps the rhythm in 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4.
- Student states the interval of minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 5th, major 7th or octave.
- Student states whether two bar melody starts and ends on tonic or dominant played by examiner.