Music Teachers – Boronia and Carrum Downs
Rhys here, owner and guitar teacher of the Eastern Suburbs School of Music.
I believe we have the best teaching staff of any music school in Melbourne. I have selected teachers for our schools in Boronia and Carrum Downs that are highly skilled musicians and more importantly terrific instructors. Music is a complicated thing. It is equivalent to learning a new language. Our teachers are understanding and patient. I ask our teachers first and foremost that our students have the best half hour of their week with us at the Eastern Suburbs School of Music. They will inspire you to pick up that instrument, get practicing and become the player you want to be.
These teachers are making wonderful contributions to our great music community already. Read more about our excellent teachers below.
RHYS LETT – Guitar/Bass/Banjo/Ukulele – School Director
Rhys has been teaching at the Eastern Suburbs School of Music since 2002 and as of 2012 is now the owner/director of the school. He is available to teach guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin and ukulele at Boronia and Carrum Downs.
- specialises in contemporary guitar styles in particular hard rock, blues and jazz guitar.
- is the VCE music performance expert with an unmatched record of getting students prepared for exams.
- His students have participated in ANZCA contemporary guitar exams where his students have the amazing record of never achieved less than honors marks (85% and above), a record which still stands after the 2014 exam period.
- As a performer Rhys does over 150 gigs per year, toured nationally and has played in some of Australia’s most prestigious venues.
Here is Rhys performing with one of his students at a recent ESSM concert night:
LUKE SHORE – Drums – Boronia
Luke is an accomplished drummer who in 2012 completed his Bachelor of Music degree at VCA. The drum program at our Boronia location has grown substantially under his leadership. His vision has lead to ultimate experience in drum lessons.
- His versatility has seen him perform gigs in hard rock, jazz, folk and Latin bands as well as being an in demand music theater drummer.
- Amazing success with drum students as young as 4 and recently an 82 year old.
- Luke’s great sense of humour adds to his ability to create a supportive and patient learning environment.
Here is Luke with fellow Eastern Suburbs School of Music teachers Rhys Lett and Daniel Lijnders performing Stratus by Billy Cobham:
DANIEL LIJNDERS – Bass/Guitar/Ukulele – Boronia
Music has always been a major part of Daniel’s life as a performer and now educator. He is an in demand bassist on the
- graduated from Monash University with a Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education on the bass guitar.
- employed as a classroom music teacher at Wheelers Hill Secondary College and as instrumental bass teacher at Nazareth College.
- He has also played in many bands using all the different styles he has learnt from rock to country and everything in between.
- Can teach you slapping, tapping, harmonics or other specific bass techniques, Daniel has the range and resources available to ensure that you get the most out of your lesson.
Here is Daniel performing at the Melbourne Guitar Show in 2015. He is endorsed by MarkBass amplifiers.
DAVID HARTNEY – Guitar/Ukulele/Piano/Bass/Singing – Boronia
David has been teaching guitar, ukulele, singing and piano for over 10 years. His students have included primary and secondary school students through to adults of all age groups, all wanting to learn and improve their music skills. David likes to work on all round skills and styles with his students which includes contemporary music, some classical and improvising techniques from blues to modern styles.
- David has completed a Bachelor of Arts in Music and Literature.
- He currently performs with rock band Robot Child, check them out at http://www.robotchildband.com/
- Undertaking his Masters of Teaching during 2015.
Here is David performing with ESSM singing student Sara:
ERICA SYKES – Piano/Violin – Boronia
Erica joined the ESSM teaching staff in 2014. She is excellent with beginner students of all ages. Erica performed with ESSM owner Rhys Lett in the 2013 Fairhills High School production of Hairspray. Her piano performance was key to the success of the show with an extremely challenging score to perform crossing styles from jazz, classical, barrelhouse rock and roll and pop.
A very popular teacher in the state school system, ESSM is very lucky to have Erica join our teaching staff. Here is Erica performing at our 2014 end of year concert with former ESSM teacher Mary Lo.
TROY ECKHARDT – Drums – Carrum Downs
ESSM is very proud to have added Troy Eckhardt to our drum teaching staff. He is a well respected drummer in the Melbourne music scene with over 20 years professional experience. As a teacher he has experience teaching people of all ages and skill levels. Troy currently performs with the Eddie Rawk band as the State of Mind – Billy Joel tribe show.
Paul Cummings – Guitar/Banjo/Mandolin/Keyboard – Boronia
Paul has joined the ESSM staff in 2019. He is a familiar face to students from his work at our partner store KC’S Rock Shop. Paul is now a full time instrumental teacher running his own school as well in Packenham called Shamrock Music.
Sunny Fischer – Piano – Boronia
Sunny began teaching at ESSM in 2017.
Alex Gooding – Drums – Boronia
Alex joined the ESSM teaching team in 2016. Alex studied the Bachelor of Music Performance at Box Hill Institute. He works in several secondary schools and music schools in Melbourne.
Anna Gints – Piano/Singing – Online
Anna has joined our staff in 2019. She has Bachelor degree qualifications in piano and singing. Following 2020 Anna returned to her home land of Russia but continues to teacher for us online! Anna has also recently appeared on The Voice – Russia.
Van Marks – Drums/Guitar/Piano – Carrum Downs
Van is a versatile teacher that can play and teach many instruments. He studied drums at Box Hill Institue and commenced teaching for ESSM in 2016. He teaches in many primary school programs throughout the week. Van has had amazing success with students on the Spectrum.
Harmony Thomas – Singing/Guitar/Piano – Carrum Downs
Harmony joined the ESSM teaching team in 2021. As well as being a performing musician she has stage experience taking lead roles in shows such as Shrek.
Alicia McKee – Singing/Violin/Piano – Carrum Downs
Alicia joined the ESSM teaching team in 2020. She has been a student of our school for a number of years and is now taking students of her own.
Alicia McKee – Singing/Piano – Carrum Downs
Chelsea joined the ESSM teaching team in 2021. She has been a student of our school for a number of years and is now taking students of her own.
Kat Nest – Singing/Drums/Guitar/Piano – Boronia
Kat is a versatile teacher that can play and teach many instruments. She has joined the ESSM teaching team in 2021.
Connor Milikin – Drums – Boronia
Connor has joined our team in 2021. Already a well established teacher with his own students, we are thrilled Connor is working with ESSM on Wednesdays in Boronia.
Mandy Buck – Singing/Guitar/Piano/Violin – Boronia
Mandy is a multi talented teacher. She has joined the ESSM teaching team in 2021.
Brandon Sompanpanya – Guitar/Bass – Boronia
Brandon was a 10 year student of owner Rhys Lett and now began teaching for ESSM in 2020.
Caleb Sankey – Drums – Boronia
Caleb has joined our team in 2020. Caleb has studied at Box Hill.
Matt Fackrell – Bass/Guitar – Boronia
Matt has joined our team in 2022. His band The Omnific is achieving international success and recognition. See their latest release here:
Josh Clinch – Drums – Boronia
Josh has joined our team in 2022. See his band Earth Caller’s latest single here: